Keep up to date with everything IIB, sign up to our mailing list

Thank you for signing up to our mailing list.

Please fill out all required fields

First Name

Last Name



Local election ID guidance

Polling station signDid you know that from 4 May you will have to show a photo ID in order to vote in many elections?

The Elections Act, passed in 2022, requires voters from 4 May 2023 onwards to show photo ID at polling stations in some elections in the UK.

This will apply to Local elections, Police and Crime Commissioner elections, UK Parliamentary by-elections and Recall elections.

From October 2023, it will also apply to UK General elections. 

What forms of photo ID are accepted?  

You can use any of the following acceptable forms of photo ID when voting at a polling station. 

International travel 

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country - this means Irish passports are a valid form of ID.

Driving and Parking 

  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence) 

  • A Blue Badge 

 Local travel 

  • Older Person's Bus Pass 

  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass 

  • Oyster 60+ Card 

  • Freedom Pass 

  • Scottish National Entitlement Card 

  • 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card 

  • Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card 

  • Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland 

  • Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person's SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland 

  • War Disablement SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland 

  • 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland 

  • Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland 

 Proof of age 

  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card) 

Other government-issued documents 

You will only need to show one form of photo ID, and it needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. 

What if my photo ID isn’t accepted? 

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if: 

  • you don't have an accepted form of photo ID

  • you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you 

  • you're worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason, such as the use of a gender marker 

 You need to register to vote before applying for a Voter Authority Certificate. 

What if I don’t have a photo ID? 

If you don't have an accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate. 

The Electoral Commission has published resources and guidance for assisting several groups: 

Find out more about accepted forms of photo ID, how to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate, and what to expect on polling day. 

What if my photo ID is out of date? 

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote. 

Showing ID as an anonymous elector 

If you're registered to vote anonymously and want to vote in person, you'll need to apply for an  Anonymous Elector's Document

Find out more about registering to vote anonymously and how to vote anonymously.  

The Electoral Commission has created bespoke resources to support other groups who are likely to need support to prepare for the new voter ID requirement, including: 

  • Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Communities 

  • Disabled people 

  • Older people 

  • People experiencing homelessness

  • People who are registered to vote anonymously 

  • Trans and non-binary people 

Your polling station should be printed on your polling card and delivered to you before an election if you have registered to vote. If you are unsure of where that is, you can use: