Keep up to date with everything IiB, sign up to our mailing list
Thank you for signing up to our mailing list.
Please fill out all required fields
The All Party Parliamentary Group on Ireland and the Irish in Britain
Many MPs and peers from across the political spectrum are signed up to this group, which is active in raising awareness of issues affecting the Irish community in Britain at a parliamentary level.
The Chair of the All–Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain (APPG) is Conor McGinn MP and Irish in Britain works closely with it. We monitor parliamentary debates and reports and support the APPG on press and social media work.
We also provide MPs with information on community issues in their areas and provide information on the work of Irish in Britain member groups. You can find out more about the Irish populations of British constituencies through our Mapping the Irish project from 2019. We are active in maintaining links with political parties, the Irish Embassy and Irish councillors. Additionally, we provide support for Travellers Movement and Gypsy/Roma group issues.
The APPG hosts year–round activities which we help support.
To raise awareness and represent within parliament the interests and concerns of the Irish community in Britain.
Providing a community voice in Westminster.
* focusing on the needs of the most vulnerable
* supporting Irish in Britain & the wider community
* awareness of Irish public affairs – north and south
* promoting Irish culture & sports
To further devolution in Northern Ireland
* to build upon ever–closer relations between Britain and Ireland
* to support stronger North–South co–operation bodies
* to protect scrutiny and accountability for all public bodies
* to assist development of a global Diaspora strategy
Themes of APPG approach
To represent interests of traditional community and new migrants
* to celebrate sense of decency and the values we share, calling for recognition and inclusion at all levels of life in GB
* protecting and promoting links with home
* to highlight the hidden strengths of our community
* to harness power of the global diaspora
On These Islands
Under the theme ‘On These Islands’, the APPG work on the following areas:
Planning for economic recovery and pressing for jobs and investment
* best practice of human rights protection to inform all public bodies
* supporting the Haas process for reconciliation & a shared future
* dealing fairly with legacy issues
* assisting events to commemorate the Decade of Centenariesrecognising environment & climate change as a British–Irish issue
The APPG seek to highlight the contributions that the Irish in Britain make to their communities. The Irish are providers of critical skills & powerful networks and as customers, they represent a diverse market sector. Irish businesses are investors in economic recovery, both at home and abroad and in philanthropy – the generosity of Irish giving is legendary. Irish migrants also act as willing ambassadors for Irish culture & crafts.
All Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain
FAO: APPG on Ireland and the Irish in Britain, c/o Conor McGinn MP
House of Commons, Westminster, London SW1A 0AA
FAO: APPG on the Irish in Britain,
Irish in Britain, Haringey Irish Centre (3rd Floor), Pretoria Road, London N17 8DX